Frequently Asked Questions

This information is for students working in the BYU Computer Science department. If your employment is through another department, please contact them.

  1. How long are pay periods? Pay periods last two weeks. Each employment week begins on Saturday and ends on Friday. This means if you are limited to a certain number of hours per week, those limits apply to the employment week not the actual week. Access the current BYU pay period schedule here.
  2. How many hours can I work on campus? Your faculty supervisor will determine the number of hours you can work (within the University parameters stated below). Remember that the employment week begins on Saturday and ends on Friday.
  • Fall/Winter semesters: You can only work up to 20 hours per week if you are an undergraduate student or 28 hours per week if you are a non-international graduate student. International students may not work more than 20 hours per week according to federal regulations, unless they are on approved vacation (determined between you and the International Services Office, 1351 WSC).
  • Spring/Summer terms: During the Spring and Summer terms, all students (including international students if they are on their approved vacation) can work up to 40 hours a week. Do not work more than 40 hours total for all jobs within an employment week. You must be either registered for spring/summer classes or registered for fall classes to be eligible to work during these terms. You must visit with CS Employment in the CS Office (3361 TMCB) prior to beginning a 40 hour per week schedule. Check with for the exact day that you may begin working a new semester’s hours.
  1. How and when will I get paid? According to BYU policy, all BYU employees are required to set up Direct Deposit through your BYU My Financial Center (this is how you will be paid). You will usually get paid the Friday after the pay period ends. Access the Current BYU pay period schedule here.
  2. How is my pay rate determined? If you are a TA, the department determines your pay rate based on the number of CS classes you have taken and prior semesters you have worked as a TA. For this reason, it is important that you keep your CS profile updated. If you are a RA, your faculty supervisor determines your pay rate. It is still important, however, to update your profile because many professors determine your rate based on your progression in the program.
  3. How do I clock in/out? All students must clock in through BYU's Y-time system. It can be accessed online through MyBYU, Mobile BYU app Y-Time feature, Y-time machine in each campus building, or through campus phones. Employees must make a timestamp at the beginning and end of each shift. Each time you clock in or out, the clock should tell you your total hours for the pay period. If this total does not appear, then you have an exception that needs to be resolved (see question #8).
  • Online: You can add Y-time to your My BYU homepage by clicking on "Customize" (located in the top left-hand corner of most themes). Search "Y Time" and then add the app or click and drag the app to your page. This app will let you clock in/out as well as view your timesheet.
  • Mobile BYU App: You can add the Y-Time feature to clock in/out
  • Y-time Machine: The Y-time clock machine is located in the northwest corner of the Talmage building (TMCB) on the first floor (across the hall from 1112). Enter your BYU ID number, and click “Next.” The screen will now show your name, your job, and a menu to clock in, clock out, and view your total hours. If you have more than one job, please see question #9.
  • Campus Phones: If your lab or office has a campus phone, you can use it to clock in/out. Press the “Services” button. Use the arrow buttons to scroll down to “Y-time” and push the select button (under the screen). It will ask for your BYU ID. Enter your ID number using the phone numbers, and click “Next.” The screen will now show your name, your job, and a menu to clock in, clock out, and view your total hours.
  1. How do I view my timesheet? Log in to Y-time online (see question #5). Click on the “My Timesheet” button. You can view your total hours through the phone and machine, but individual time stamps can only be viewed online.
  2. What does the clock icon mean on my timesheet? The clock icon notifies you that you have an “exception” that must be resolved (something is wrong with your timecard). You can click on the clock and it will give a more specific explanation. All exceptions must be resolved by entering a correction in your timesheet or emailing (see question #8).
  3. How do I make corrections to my timesheet? Hourly employees have the ability to correct many of their own missed punches--those that occur within the current pay period. For more detailed information about Y-Time Self-Corrections, please go to:

For those corrections that you can not change on your own, you will need to email with your name, BYU ID#, date of exception, what needs to be corrected and why. All corrections should be emailed before 8 a.m. Monday after the end of the current pay period. NOTE: Corrections should be the exception; this procedure is not to be used as a substitute for using Y-time.

  1. What if I have more than one job? Each job will automatically be labeled with its job type (research assistant, etc.). You must always select the correct job when clocking in and out. If you have more than one job of the same job type (i.e. two teaching assistant jobs), you will need to contact the CS department so we can re-label your jobs making them easier to differentiate. Send an email to the employment secretary at or visit 3361 TMCB.
  2. Work eligibility questions? Tax questions? The Student Employment Office has your answers. You can read about this here.