Computing That Serves

Student Employment

Please note: This information is subject to change.

Application Process

Students interested in applying for part-time positions in the Computer Science Department need to:

Hiring Process

Students must not begin working until the entire following process is complete:

Student must complete an online profile through the CS Website. In addition a student may complete an online application for different jobs through the CS Website. Note that not all professors will look at the applications.  It is better to talk directly to the professor either in person or via email. There should be dialogue between the faculty member and the student about the student working for the faculty member. Upon selection of an applicant, a faculty member will submit a hire request. The CS Employment Secretary will process the request.

If this is the first time the student has been employed on campus, an email will be sent to the student explaining the process to complete an I-9 at the Student Employment Office, 2024 WSC. Federal immigration regulations require each employee hired in the United States to prove their identity and eligibility to work by completing a Form I-9 at the time of hire. The Form I-9 must be completed on or before the employee’s first day of work. If the form is filled out late, your hire will be reported on the University’s monthly non-compliance report. BYU can be fined by the Department of Justice up to $1,100 for each "late hire" in the event of an audit. You should not begin working and cannot be paid until this form has been filled out.

If the student will be working on contract, the contract will be sent to the student's myBYU email address and will be signed electronically by the student.  Contact the CS Office, 3361 TMCB, or call 801-422-3027 with any questions.

Once Student Employment has authorized the student to work, the student will receive an email from the CS Employment Secretary notifying that employment has been authorized. NOTE: Student is not to begin working before receiving this confirmation.

Students employed during their last semester of school and wishing to enroll in less than the required credits may invoke their Last Semester Option. This option may only be used once. If the student does not graduate at the end of their option, they must be enrolled for the full required credits in any subsequent semesters/terms in order to continue employment.

Pay & Compensation

Each student is responsible to keep his/her own profile current on the CS website. TA compensation is based upon the student's Computer Science class standing (as recorded in the profile information stored on the CS website) and the level of the course. An additional $0.50 per hour is added for each semester that the student returns to work as a TA, up to a maximum cumulative total per the chart below. Students should update their profile as soon as possible after receiving grades for courses or advancing to a different standing. The CS Department will update your rate according to the change and may retroactively update a student’s pay rate for a maximum of one previous pay period at our discretion. All RA compensation is independently arranged with the individual professor with whom the RA will work.  It is still important, however, for RA students to update their profiles because many professors determine RA rates based on progression in the program.

Department TA Hourly Pay Scale
Class Standing 100-level class 200-level class 240 &
300+-level class
CS FRESHMAN $10.00 $11.00 $13.00
CS SOPHOMORE $10.00 $11.00 $13.00

Complete Three (3) of the following: All CS Classes excluding CS 100 & CS 199R. (Math 313, Stat 121, ECEN 424, ECEN 425 and IT 567 will count as CS courses for this formula.)

CS JUNIOR $11.00 $12.00 $14.00

Complete Six (6) of the following: All CS Classes excluding CS 100 & CS 199R. (Math 313, Stat 121, ECEN 424, ECEN 425 and IT 567 will count aCS courses for this formula.)

CS SENIOR $12.00 $13.00 $15.00

Complete Ten (10) of the following: All CS Classes excluding CS 100 & CS 199R. (Math 313, Stat 121, ECEN 424, ECEN 425 and IT 567 will count aCS courses for this formula.)

MS $11.90 $12.90 $14.90
MS PROPOSED $12.90 $13.90 $15.90
$13.90 $14.90 $16.90
Maximum pay rate
(including longevity increases)
$14.50 $15.50 $17.50


Employees will be paid in one of the following ways:

  • HOURLY: all hourly student employees must clock in through BYU's Y-time system.  It can be accessed online, through a Y-time machine, or through campus phones.  Employees must make a timestamp at the beginning and end of each shift. Each time you clock in or out, the clock should tell you your total hours for the pay period.  If this total does not appear, then you have an Exception that needs to be resolved*.
    • Online: You can add Y-time to your My BYU homepage by clicking on "Add Content" (located in the top right-hand corner of most themes).  Select "All Categories", and "Y Time".  Click “Add Content to My Page.”  The new section will let you clock in/out as well as view your timecard.
    • Y-time Machine: The Y-time clock machine is located in the northwest corner of the Talmage building (TMCB) on the first floor (across the hall from 1112). Enter your BYU ID number, and click “Next.” The screen will now show your name, your job, and a menu to clock in, clock out, and view your total hours for the week.  If you have more than one job, then you need pay special attention to your hours and make sure not to go over 20 hours a week between the two jobs (40 hours in the spring/summer).
    • Campus Phones: If your lab or office has a campus phone, you can use it to log in/out.  Press the “Services” button.  Use the arrow buttons to scroll down to “Y-time” and push the select button (under the screen).  It will ask for your BYU ID.  Enter your ID number using the phone numbers, and click “Next.”  The screen will now show your name, your job, and a menu to clock in, clock out, and view your total hours.
  • CONTRACTED students will receive a stipend amount per paycheck until the effective termination date of the contract. Contracted students are not required to clock hours worked, though they should keep a log of the hours they work as per the instructions on the contract.

*CORRECTIONS TO TIME AND/OR "MISSED PUNCHES": Employees must come to the Computer Science Office, 3361 TMCB, to make corrections to their time in the Missed Punch Book.  NOTE: ALL corrections and missed punches require an entry in the Missed Punch Book, including the employee's signature.

International Students

Please utilize the following two websites in determining employment eligibility:

International students (both undergraduate and graduate students) are not allowed to work over 20 hours/week unless they are on their "approved break."  Please contact International services to determine if you are on your approved break.