Frequently Asked Questions

This information is for students working in the BYU Computer Science Department. If your employment is through another Department, please contact them.

  • How many hours can I work on campus? Your faculty supervisor will determine the number of hours you can work (within the University parameters stated below). These hours are reset every pay period. Pay periods last two weeks. Each employment week begins on Saturday and ends on Friday. This means if you are limited to a certain number of hours per week, those limits apply to the employment week not the actual week.
    • Fall/Winter semesters: You can only work up to 20 hours per week if you are an undergraduate student or 28 hours per week if you are a non-international graduate student. International students may not work more than 20 hours per week according to federal regulations, unless they are on approved vacation (determined between you and the International Services Office, 1351 WSC).
    • Spring/Summer terms: During the Spring and Summer terms, all students (including international students if they are on their approved vacation) can work up to 40 hours a week. You may not work more than 40 hours total for all jobs within an employment week. You must be either registered for spring/summer classes or registered for fall classes to be eligible to work during these terms. Check with if you are eligible to work these hours and for the exact day that you may begin working these hours.
  • How and when will I get paid? According to BYU policy, all BYU employees are required to set up Direct Deposit through your BYU My Financial Center (this is how you will be paid). You will get paid the Friday after the pay period ends. Here is the current BYU pay period schedule.
  • How is my pay rate determined? If you are a TA, the department determines your pay rate based on the number of CS classes you have taken and prior semesters you have worked as a TA (see Pay & Compensation). Because of this, it is important to complete the user agreement for our website. If you are an RA, your faculty supervisor determines your pay rate. It is still important, however, to submit the user agreement because many professors determine your rate based on your progression in the program.
  • How do I clock in/out? All students must clock in through BYU's Y-time system. It can be accessed through: The BYU mobile app Y-Time feature, the "Work" tab on the MyBYU website, or the Y-time wall-mounted touch screens in each campus building. Employees must make a timestamp at the beginning and end of each shift. Each time you clock in or out, the clock should tell you your total hours for the pay period. If this total does not appear, then you have an exception that needs to be resolved (see How do I make corrections to my timesheet?).
    • Online: You can view your timesheet through BYU's HR website, which can be found at
    • Mobile App: You can add the Y-Time feature to clock in/out
    • Wall-Mounted Touch Screens: The Y-time clock is located in the northwest corner of the Talmage building (TMCB) on the first floor (across the hall from 1112). Enter your BYU ID number, and click “Next.” The screen will now show your name, your job, and a menu to clock in, clock out, and view your total hours. If you have more than one job, please see What if I have more than one job?.
  • How do I view my timesheet? Log in to Y-time online (see How do I clock in/out?). Click on the “My Timesheet” button. You can view your total hours through the BYU Mobile App and the times for each day during the current pay period, but past pay periods can only be viewed online.
  • What does the clock icon mean on my timesheet? The clock icon notifies you that you have an “exception” that must be resolved (something is wrong with your timecard). You can click on the clock and it will give a more specific explanation. All exceptions must be resolved by entering a correction in your timesheet or submitting a Time Correction Request Form.
  • How do I make corrections to my timesheet? Hourly employees have the ability to correct many of their own missed punches--those that occur within the current pay period. For more detailed information about Y-Time Self-Corrections, please go to
    • For those corrections that you can not change on your own, you will need to fill out a Time Correction Request Form. All forms should be submitted before 8 a.m. Monday after the end of the current pay period to be counted for that pay period. If you are unable to request a correction in the current pay period, you can still make the request and your pay will be added to the next paycheck. NOTE: Corrections should be the exception; this procedure is not to be used as a substitute for using Y-time.
  • What if I have more than one job? Each job will automatically be labeled with its job type (research assistant, etc.). You must always select the correct job when clocking in and out. If you have more than one job of the same job type (i.e. two teaching assistant jobs), you will need to contact the CS department so we can re-label your jobs making them easier to differentiate. Send an email to the employment secretary at or visit 3361 TMCB.